The blog of a North Country Swede!

Monday, February 06, 2006

The most radical action I can take ...

The most radical action I can take ... if we define "radical" as meaning "advocating extreme measures to retain or restore a political state of affairs" ... is to act as a citizen representing my interests as a person with inalienable rights, freely embedded and engaged in a community of my own choosing (in other words, a community I could leave if I so chose) ...

This is, in itself, the noblest political action. This is the highest form of public service ... the role of the free citizen. It's downhill from there to the Presidency with fetters, the chains of the expectations of others, steadily restricting a person's sphere of personal freedom. (Note: And freedom is NOT having choices about which pair of jeans to buy or wear.)

My gawd, how far we have strayed from our philosophical roots in ancient Greece as well as in the founding of our own nation.

No comments: