The blog of a North Country Swede!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

As an existentialist ...

As an existentialist I adhere to the idea that my highest calling is to break free of the narrative of existence ingrained in my psyche, and altered by my conscious interaction with life's experiences. Existence both biologically and culturally preceded my awareness ... and I came into being assuming the reality of my environment.

That is not being naive, that is the ground out of which I came ... and being able to examine it for what it is becomes the individual's brave journey into the future ... never for one's self alone, but for those who follow also ... even though most around us fear what we reveal about ourselves and try to shut us up.

Note: A thought written to an emerging friend. -ncs

1 comment:

Dion said...

I believe that our *Inner Being* aka *Soul* is a conjoined part of a *Collective Consciousness*. Visualize a bowl of tomato soup and each drop of soup by itself is a singular *Soul* and all the drops together make up the *Collective Consciousness*. Regardless of it being a drop or a full bowl, it's the same *stuff*, for lack of a better term. Furthermore, I believe the *Soul* that is my presence, my being, my self is always part of the *Collective Consciousness*. Although life seems to be an individual's self voyage, the *Soul* is always at one with the *Collective Consciousness*. In my concept, do not think of the *Soul* or the *Collective Consciousness* as something physical such as soup. The *Soul* is not of this physical world. I find it beneficial to understand the *Soul* conceptually and the visualization of tomato soup helps me wrap by mind around the whole idea.

I see the human life cycle (birth, life, death) as infinite as our *Soul* continually reincarnates. I see God as the *Collective Consciousness* but I'm certain I don't know half nor quarter of the realities of all I attempt to explain.

As to why we exist or what life's purpose is, much like the *Soul*, I can only speculate. For me, raising my child is my priority in life. That's where my life is now but I don't see my daughter as my only purpose. Some believe our purpose is to watch/witness the universe unfold. Seems too basic and lacking depth. I believe my own full enlightenment will come when my mind is still and unencumbered with negative energy. I believe I must stay in the present, in the now and not continually reliving the past or projecting thoughts of the future.

I am. Nature is. We are.