The blog of a North Country Swede!

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

What's important, anyway?

When it comes right down to it, what is important in life?

Why do I ask? A young relative--mid-twenties--of a close friend is dying of cancer. It's a terrible story of misdiagnosis and treatment with the intelligent, beautiful young woman knowing that if only her doctors had got it right in the beginning, this wouldn't be happening.

"Trouble deaf heaven with our bootless cries ..." - Shakespeare

It comes down to all that really, really matters is that we care about one another. That is what I want from you, that you care about me ... not how rich or poor I am, able or disabled, not because of what I can do for you, not because I meet your expectations of me ... but that you care about me simply because I am another human being like you.

And I must take the risk of caring for you before I know whether you will ever care for me.

That doesn't mean we care about everyone equally. That is impossible. But in the intimate relationships of each of our lives, we care for one another because that is the basis of humanity, of family, of community, of friendship, of love ... to give another person the awareness that I care about him or her, the other person. That is the transforming power of love.

Jesus taught us that if we want to transform the world what we have to do is go out into the highways and byways, find the unloved, the uncared for--not en masse, but as individuals--and love them, care for them.

When I feel loved I experience the self-esteem to live fully, and so does the other person.

Don't get me wrong. I do not believe Jesus was "God". He was simply telling us the truth.

Jesus started with twelve disciples and transformed the western world. Love has that power.

In that respect, God is love.

No comments: