The blog of a North Country Swede!

Saturday, August 28, 2004

Dump the guilt!

I walk the house dog in the South Mountain Reservation most mornings for at least an hour. The walk has become a time for randomly wandering the woodland trails while randomly wandering through my mind.



Thinking by myself (well, with the dog) is one of my fondest activities. I love the way my mind works. spontaneously generating new connections among the bits and pieces of information and experience I feed into it.

Having worked through my repressed negative emotions, releasing the pent-up energy blocking spontaneity ... before that, all the repressed stuff would pop out whenever I let go ... and I thought I would have to clamp the lid back on (and was that stressful, or what?!) ... until I learned how to simply let it go, and now I can let my mind freely go wherever it goes ... and that is wild and creative and exciting and rewards me with joy.

And that is what I experience walking the house dog in the South Mountain Reservation most every morning.

By the way, the dog is a blond lab/terrier mix, still a playful puppy at 7+ months.

Life is so damn good!

Just to calm everyone down, I am a floater in the atheist-agnostic-pantheist range of the philosophical/religious spectrum. However, I believe a little bit of the "born-again" experience to relieve the psychological burden of guilt and shame for offending the communal mores of one's "tribe" is a good thing. Likewise, twelve-step programs and professionally guided therapy.

My personal mantra is: Dump the guilt! Get to where being alone is part of a healthy, joyfilled life ... rather than something to be dreaded.

No comments: