The blog of a North Country Swede!

Sunday, August 15, 2004

Introduction

Charley has passed through New Jersey. I didn't notice the remnants of the hurricane.

Earlier McGreevey resigned as governor. I sat glued to the TV throughout his speech announcing his sexual orientation and resignation. Political theatre at a drammatic apogee.

Mostly I agree with those who characterize McGreevey's coming out of the closet as a cover act for the corruption that permeated his tenure in office.

I consider myself a progressive democrat. There are some elements of traditional liberalism with which I do not agree. That backgound sets up the following: Bob Braun, a Star Ledger columnist wrote:
"The truth is McGreevy wanted to be governor more than

he wanted to be the real Jim McGreevy."
My first thought as I mentally agreed with that statement, was that I feel the same way about John Kerry wanting to be president. There's no authenticity there ... in either one. I'm old enough to have been there and sentient when Harry S. Truman was president. He was authentic.

The banal and mundane: This evening I picked up the 18-year-old son of a friend and colleague at JFK Airport on Long Island. The young man was returning from a couple of weeks in Spain. In a couple more weeks he will be off to college as a freshman, pursuing a dergree in Physics.

I drove to the airport with his father, my friend. It's a trip I know well.

This is my first post to my blogger.com blog. There will be more.

No comments: