The blog of a North Country Swede!

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

On community and voting ...

The basic unit for the species, Homo sapiens, is the tribe ... what we would call our primary community ... which I will simply call, the community.

It is only as a member of a healthy community that all of our needs for a healthy life can be met.

This concept is basic to all that we do as human beings.

The liberating act ... the foundation of freedom and liberty for the individual ... is a recent phenomenon. It is that I, as an individual, can choose for myself the community to which I belong.

To the extent I do not have that choice, then to that extent I am not free.

Freedom is not about which pair of shoes I buy, or which car I drive ... except how I identify with my community in those acts. If I CANNOT dress outside the code of a community, reside outside the boundaries of a community, or have close, personal friendships outside the members of a community ... then I am not free.

To the extent in voting I vote to liberate myself and others from the restrictions of a community, to that extent I am enlarging freedom. If in voting I vote to increase the restrictions of a community upon myself or others, to that extent I limiting freedom.

Voting can enslave me.

No comments: