The blog of a North Country Swede!

Friday, February 04, 2005

The snow is falling

Large wet snowflakes fall on snow covered ground ... one of the most beautiful scenes in nature. Here in New Jersey, the snow muffles the urban noises and creates an aura for reflection and repose.

In my mind I wander randomly through the memories of my youth in Northern Minnesota and my more recent years in Interior Alaska. When winter is still and beautiful, I am at peace with myself.

It is times like this when I miss Alaska most deeply.

Strange, I guess, but it is when the cold wet wind is howling through the trees in New Jersey that I think of the beaches of Los Cabos. When the sun is shining in the summer, I long for the fiords of Lofoten. When the snow is falling in large snowflakes on a still winter day, I think of the awesome winter wilderness of the world of the Yukon River.

I played with our dog and cat inside this morning. Life is good even though I don't travel anymore.

No comments: