The blog of a North Country Swede!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

We cannot succumb to apathy

Too many are saying in their comments and posts that there is no hope. We cannot succumb to apathy.

We cannot succumb for we know that each one of us can imagine what ought to be, and we can struggle to make that oughtness the isness of our existence.

It is in this, the individual's creative awareness of possibility, that we are human. In choosing what ought to be, out of possibility, we are moral creatures. (Choosing not to choose, to simply accept what we are told, is a choice ... as soon as we are aware of what is possible.) In striving (or not striving) to make what we believe ought to be, real, we show character.

We imagine, we choose, and we strive ... positively, negatively, apathetically ... we cannot escape the responsibility of our individual humanness.

While the reasons for my choosing what ought to be, transcend my momentary self in that I consider others whom I care about as well as my future self, I choose by acting in the present. And I am the actor who acts. Even if commanded to act, I have the choice of refusing to act on command.

What the Neocons want us to believe is that if we act individually it is self-defeating, that we must line up behind a leader to have power. I would suggest to you that is also an individual choice. And that by each of us vigorously exercising our autonomy in full view of each other, we discover our collective strength in our common values as well as in the differences we bring to the human community.

No comments: