The blog of a North Country Swede!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

OK ... my conservative views.

I don’t believe in running a deficit to pay for a war or earmarks for congressional districts.

I don’t believe in nation-building in other nations that have not attacked us or were no real threat to us.

I believe in a republic with separation of powers between the branches of government, each branch working to uphold, preserve, and protect our Constitution allowing us to be governed by law.

I believe that leaders should not ask of others what they have not been willing to do themselves.

Regarding torture, let me quote wikipedia on conseravtism: “To a conservative, the goal of change is less important than the insistence that change be effected with a respect for the rule of law and traditions of society.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C onservative

To me, torture is a radical departure from the law and traditions of our nation and civilization itself.

I voted for Richard Nixon over John F. Kennedy. I admire FDR–who led us during our victory over the real Axis powers, Harry Truman–who drew the original line in the sand on international communism, and Ike–who while governing well, warned us in the end about the very military-industrial complex that now threatens our future. I have never voted for a Clinton and I never will (most likely outcome regarding the future).

And I firmly believe that Bush is so far out of his depth that it defies belief. How anyone who actually knew the man could have let him become President of these United States is a question the current Republican Party will have to answer sooner or later.

Most Americans are far more complex creatures than the Liberals or Conservatives that the Neocons would like to paint us as … dividing us by fear of each other while they (the Neocons) subvert our democratic republic to rule by THEIR elite oligarchy (a path clearly spelled out in Neocon papers outlining their startegy).

Note: Written as a comment (Hilding Lindquist | 6/20/2006, 4:10 pm EST) in response to the "Gitmo and the American Soul" thread in the National Affairs section of RollingStone.com.

No comments: